Message in a Bottle

9.01.2002

Inconsistent

Hello dear people. I doubt anyone is actually reading this besides me, but then again this is a good way for me to keep track of my thoughts. However, I must admit I am one of the most inconsistent people in the world. I start many things and don't keep up with them. In childhood I believe I owned about 10 or so diaries, and flipping through them now, only the first 20 or so pages are filled. I start exercise regimens and don't keep them up for more than a few weeks. Why am I like this? Sooner or later I fall back into what I will refer to as "regularity." Maybe I should call it "laziness." It's that place where you do only the absolute essentials that HAVE to be habitual (i.e. showering, going to work, etc). It's like my conciousness will not tolerate changes for very long. How do you make something a habit? A very good friend who is a musician once told me that if you do something for 15 days straight, it becomes habit. He was speaking in "practicing a musical skill" terms, but I digress. I challenge that. I think everyday you live is a constant struggle. Nothing is natural. Why do we have to fight so just to stay sane?