Message in a Bottle

9.05.2002

For-get ab-oout id

You know what? I'm so stupid. It's pointless to be depressed about things you can't change. The secret is distinguishing between those things you can change and those you can't. The things you can't, forget about them! ("For-get ab-ooout id," Mickey Blue Eyes). The things you can change, get up off your lazy butt and do it!!! I am just now coming to this conclusion. So the other day, after my last depressing post, I went to the band and said, "I'm not going to be Miss Nice Person anymore. I'm going to push you to the limit." And you know what? They responded. One of them actually mouthed, "Thank God!" I've been a wuss, a total wuss, all this time. I've been giving up. I'm not giving up anymore. I started pushing them harder and it felt wonderful. The things I said about changing? Sometimes that's hard to do, especially when you've got your mind made up. I had my mind made up that my band wouldn't do something as trivial as marching band during the school day. That was going to be a purely extracurricular activity, with symphonic band (REAL BAND) going on during Band class. Well, sometimes you can't have what you want. I wanted a top-notch marching band this first year with no sacrifices. So, we marched during band class yesterday. This solved the problem of not everyone being there to learn the new marching band drill. And you know? I hated admitting to myself that this was the answer. Hated it. I have said to myself for years that I would only do marching band after school. Not many people like to admit that sometimes you have to temporarily put your plans on hold in order to get to a higher place. We're going to get to that higher place. We WILL have a top-notch marching band. We WILL have a top-notch symphonic band. I WILL succeed. We WILL succeed. I just have to remember that for the next couple of years. It's not going to be easy. But I accept that. You never usually get the things you want out of life handed to you on a silver platter. Such is life.