Message in a Bottle

9.09.2002

Unsolved Mysteries

I am totally addicted to Unsolved Mysteries. The theme music still gives me chills up my spine, not so much that it's scary, but I'm like, "Oooh! It's coming on!" I have probably seen every episode ever made, thanks to Lifetime. Some people may think it's all stupid female stuff, but it gives me my daily dose of Mad About You, The Golden Girls, and Unsolved Mysteries. That's all I really care about. And, no, Bob and Tom, it is NOT the "All Men Are Bad" Network!

You know, some pieces of music should NEVER, I repeat NEVER, be arranged for marching band. Here are a few examples:
1) Beethoven's 5th Symphony - What the HELL???? I've heard some God-awful renditions of this on the field by some supposedly-good marching bands. Beethoven should NEVER be marched, PERIOD.
2) Anything Bach - again, What the HELL??? Organ fugues do not a marching arrangement make. It SUCKS!
3) Chopin....need I say more?? The guy wrote FREAKING PIANO MUSIC!!! It does not make a good impression for marching band!
4) John Cage....Okay, I admit it, I like the guy, but his innovations should not be brought to the marching band field. 4:33 will not entertain your audience.
5) Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings....There's actually a magazine ad for Finale that shows a neighborhood, points to houses, and says how the people are using Finale in their homes. One of them says, "Misguided student arranging Barber's Adagio for Strings for marching band. They ain't lyin'.